Flourless Chocolate Cake
4oz/115g Bittersweet chocolate, broken in to pieces
3oz/85g Caster (Baker's) sugar
3oz/85g Ground Almonds
3 Eggs, separated
1Tbspn Brandy or Rum - optional
1Tbspn Espresso or strong black coffee
WHAT TO DO (it's very simple)
- Lightly butter a 7" or 8" spring form tin and heat the oven to 300f/140c
- Use a bowl placed over the top of a small saucepan with two inches of simmering water in to melt the chocolate along with the coffee and brandy or rum if using, stirring well.
- While the chocolate is melting use a large saucepan and gently warm the butter, turn off heat then add the sugar and cream them together. Stir in the ground almonds followed by the chocolate mixture.
- Beat the egg yolk really well and then mix into the cake mixture - this is all done in the saucepan.
- Separately and in a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Very gently fold the egg whites into the cake mixture being careful not to knock out any of the lovely air you've created.
- Pour the mixture into your tin , place the tin on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes or until firm to the touch.
Spread a thin layer of apricot preserve over the cooled cake. Melt together 3oz/85g chocolate and 2oz/50g butter together in a bowl over simmering water, pour the chocolate mixture over the top of the cake, letting it drip down the sides.